Childhood Abuse

If you are a survivor of childhood abuse, we understand that no amount of compensation can erase the pain you've endured. Our commitment is to offer support and assist you in seeking the justice you rightfully deserve

There are two key avenues for compensation

1. Claim for a Redress Payment under the National Redress Scheme

The National Redress Scheme aims to acknowledge harm done to survivors of sexual abuse and can help survivors of institutional abuse seek:

  •    A payment calculated based on the type of abuse and the type of institution.
  •    A further small payment for psychological treatment.
  •    A request for a personal response from the institution responsible for the abuse, which could include an apology or an explanation of the institution’s current measures to protect children.


The maximum payment under the National Redress Scheme is $150,000, though many survivors may not qualify for the maximum amount. In many cases, the amount received is less than that of a legal claim.

Who Are Eligible for National Redress Scheme

Not everyone is eligible for the National Redress Scheme. You’re not eligible if:

  •    The institution hasn’t voluntarily signed up for the scheme.
  •    You’re not an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

2. Civil Damages Claim

A civil damages claim is a legal process wherein, in most cases, the institution is taken to court, holding them legally accountable for the actions of the perpetrator. The outcome of a civil damages claim is a monetary compensation payment, commonly referred to as ‘damages,’ awarded to you as the survivor of abuse.


Compensation is evaluated based on the unique circumstances of your case and may cover:

  •    The psychological impact resulting from the abuse (‘pain and suffering’).
  •    Lost income, considering the impact on your working life and career earnings, including ongoing losses if you haven’t reached retirement age.
  •    Treatment costs (e.g., medication and counseling) that you’ve already incurred.
  •    Ongoing treatment costs.

You also have the option to request a personal response from the responsible institution, which may include an apology. 

Who’s eligible for a civil damages claim?

You may be eligible for compensation if you experienced sexual or physical abuse as a child by an individual affiliated with an institution while under the institution’s care. This could involve various settings such as a church, orphanage, school, youth club, foster home, reformatory school, juvenile detention center, or prison. Individuals associated with an institution include volunteers, religious ministers, foster parents, employees of the institution, or sports coaches.

Doconade Lawyers Can Help You!

At Doconade, our lawyers specialize in compensation claims. 

At Doconade, we specialize in compensation claims

Recognising financial constraints, we offer a ‘no win, no fee’ deferred arrangement for most claims. This means no legal fees unless your claim succeeds.

Get a free, no-obligation initial consultation now

Our Blogs

personal injury lawyer
Public Liability

If you’ve been hurt due to someone else’s negligence in a public or private space, you may deserve compensation through a public liability claim

Learn more »
Medical compensation claim lawyer
Medical Negligence Claims

Medical negligence, often referred to as medical malpractice, occurs when the duty of care owed to a patient by a healthcare professional or institution is breached, leading to the patient suffering injury, loss, or damage as a result

Learn more »

Our Innovations

Our Blogs

Explore legal insights, news, and useful tips for daily life


Self-book your appointment in office or video conferences

We can help!

Scroll to Top

Request a Call Back